I like to try something new every now and then, and it seems that in the last few weeks I have attempted a few new craft mediums, paper mache dolls being one (see previous post) and here to the left is my first Rag Doll. I was ever so pleased with how she turned out, I never expected my first doll to actually look like a Rag Doll LOL!!
In making this doll I learnt a few new things along the way, like tea dying muslin, I never realised how many tea bags you actually need to use to dye such a small amount of muslin!
I found the pattern cutting and sewing together of the doll relatively easy, however stuffing the doll was quite tricky, trying to get an even fill is difficult, patience is definitely needed with this part.
I really enjoyed embroidering and painting the facial features, she really came to life at this point, which then spurred me on to paint on the stockings and shoes, sand them down and then repaint to give the vintage look and lovely leathery feel, which I really like. Next came the hair, another time consuming and difficult skill to master, but once I got going it was quite addictive and I'm now looking forward to trying different hair styles on future Dolls that I'm hoping to make. With this all done the final part was to dress my little lady, this I actually found the hardest as i'm not that great when it comes to making clothes and I found this part quite a challenge, it's definitely an area I need more practice on, but all in all I was very pleased with the end result..... Although I'd love to hear what you, my talented readers think! But be gentle please!!!!